West Liberty University
West Liberty University will launch its graduates into the community, work, and in environments with the readiness to be viable contributors. Graduates will have the skills and knowledge needed to meet future opportunities and challenges.
West Liberty University Department of Physician Assistant Studies
MISSION STATEMENT, GENERAL GOALS & OBJECTIVES
The West Liberty Department of Physician Assistant Studies is committed to providing affordable, high-quality education to physician assistant candidates, who as an integral part of the health-care team, will provide empathetic and superlative care to the patient population, especially to those in underserved areas.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies will:
- Be clinically competent physician assistants who practice evidence-based medicine.
- Reflect the highest standards of compassionate, legal, ethical, and moral conduct.
- Be team-oriented, culturally sensitive providers who are dedicated to their communities.
- Practice team-oriented quality and cost-effective patient care in their communities.
- Be critical-thinking and effective communicators with both patients and health care professionals.
- Recognize the lack of medical care in rural and underserved regions and consider practicing their discipline or providing service in such locations.
- Appreciate the importance of lifelong learning in maintaining excellence in their practice.
The Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies degree program is intended to prepare entry level medical professionals to assist the primary care physician with all medical and patient care responsibilities within the health care system, especially for rural and underserved populations. In order to accomplish this all-encompassing, student-based objective, the program will prepare the student to:
- Practice cognitive skills specific to the systematic diagnostic process.
- Practice problem-solving skills specific to the systematic diagnostic process.
- Practice patient care methodologies consistent with Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) guidelines.
- Understand all ethical considerations within the field.
- Critically analyze clinical literature and methodologies.
- Perform literature reviews critical to maintaining currency within the field.
- Engage in community interaction.
- Provide attainable health care in rural and underserved regions.
The Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies degree program will also:
- Establish cooperative and productive relationships with other schools, departments, and programs within the University, clinical affiliates and preceptor sites.
- Implement continuous and periodic self-study which will provide ongoing monitoring, evaluation and improvement of program activities.
- Encourage and provide opportunities for continued professional growth and development for Physician Assistant faculty.